Saturday, December 20, 2008

Novel Melayu.. they make u think

I went back from work.. the usual.. and entered my sister's room.
On her bed, there was this malay novel. I've seen it many time... Love the cover. Black, with a red volkswaged bettle on it.
I was contemplating whether to read it or not...

First and foremost why I am quite reluctant to read it because ... Its a malay book. I am not against a malay writer. Some of them are pretty good.. Norhayati Ibrahim for example. I love reading her writtings. But because, I am a malay. I feel much more closer and attached to the characters in the stories. Their life are often resembled with what I was doing. There will no longer be imagination, but instead a trip to sudden reality. And Reality BITES!!!

Secondly, some malay book include 'english' phrases. I don't mind reading everything in malay, but I am quite dissapointed with the rojakness of malay novel. And even worse, their english were broken. Once, I read these malay books, it affected the way I converse in english.. pretty embarassing when my friends started to realize my english skills are deteriorating. So I stopped reading them and began to read english novels.

Third, malay novel always has this perfect heroin in the novel. As much as I know, every heroin or main character in the novel plays important role, I sometimes feel a bit 'down-graded' with the criteria set by the author. Why must the heroin be so perfect? and Why must the bad one be the worst. Why must the hero be the handsome one... it seems so impossible to find one.

And Last but Not Least... after reading the mushy details of the story books.. I often felt more lonelier than Lonely... it is pretty easy for them, I am refering to the fictional characters of malay novels, to survive in their perfectly-written world...

However I read the book regardless.. and yes the above still applies.. as much as I enjoyed it.. I know I am becoming more jealous of the character.. good looks, good behaviour, good life and good husband to be...

Life is tough....

The novel I am reading now is 'Manis nya Cinta' by Anis Ayuni.

Read the review here.. and others novel as well.

NB: and yes.. I am bitter! and so what gitu lohh

No comments: